ArchivesWiki is a collaborative online repository for the material (and descriptions of the material) held in Australian archives of all sorts (including digital-only).
To create an account, you'll need to know the code word: 'archives' (this is a slight attempt to stop spammers).
- This wiki is registered on WikiApiary (where you can also see what other archives- or genealogy-oriented wikis there are in the world).
- Data dumps are uploaded to the Internet Archive (see below), so no one need be (too) worried about everything disappearing one day.
Data dumps and backups
We upload archival dumps of ArchivesWiki the Internet Archive. These dumps contain:
- an XML dump of all revisions of all pages (named
- a zipfile of the
These should be sufficient to restore the site, with only the loss of all user account data (passwords, email addresses, preferences etc.). We also have secure offline backups of all site data (not publicly accessible).
Available dumps (in reverse chronological order):
- 2018-09-02: https://archive.org/details/ArchivesWiki20180902
- 2017-08-23: https://archive.org/details/ArchivesWiki20170823
- 2014-03-01: https://archive.org/details/wiki-archivesorgau (old site; discontinued)
The private sites that live alongside ArchivesWiki are backed up in similar way, and annual dumps are distributed on Blu-Ray discs to relevant stakeholders.