Charles Edward Hancox
|Birth:||, Everton, England|
Maria Mary Hancox (née Merrett)
1845 – 22 October 1908
|Siblings:||Harry Merrett Hancox|
1868-04-15 – 1943-06-22
Frank Heeley Hancox
Richard James Hancox
1873-08-23 – 1956-05-16
Charles Edward Hancox
|Partners:||Alice Margaret Hancox (née Renner)|
|Children:||Norman Merrett Hancox|
b.1912 d.1990 Cheshire, England
Charles Stanley Hancox
1906 – 1964
Charles Edward Hancox was born on 15 February 1872 at 64 Woodville Terrace, Toxteth Park, Everton, Liverpool, Lancashire, and christened on 10 March 1872 at Holy Trinity Church, Walton Breck, Lancashire. His parents were Harry Hancox and Maria Mary Hancox (née Merrett) and he had three siblings: Harry Merrett Hancox, Frank Heeley Hancox and Richard James Hancox.
On 3 April 1881 the family were living at 30 Edge Lane, Liverpool and by 1891 he was working as a Merchants Clerk in Toxteth Park, Liverpool, Lancashire By 1901 he was a manager for a Cotton Merchant, still living at home with his mother Maria and younger brothers.
He married Alice Margaret Renner on 7 June 1905 at St Mary's, Liscard, Cheshire His brother Richard James Hancox was his best man. He and Alice had five children: Charles Stanley Hancox, Winifred Margaret Hancox, Norman Merrett Hancox, Barbara May Hancox and Philip Renner Hancox. They lived at 54 Manor Road, Liscard, Cheshire, after their marriage and later at 13 Emmerdale Road, New Brighton, Cheshire.
He subsequently became a cotton broker with extensive travel to the United States. On 24 July 1916 he is recorded on the passenger list of the ship "St Paul" arriving in New York with next of kin given as Mrs. A.M. Hancox On 15 March 1937 he is listed on the passenger list arriving in Southampton from Madeira, Portugal on the Vandyck (Lamport and Holt Line), and is still a cotton merchant. From the following it is evident that he had business interests in the USA where he was in partnership in a large importing cotton business in the south at least until 1920 (as seen in the following notice from the London Gazette, 31 August 1920:
NOTICE is hereby given, that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between the under- signed, Frank Charles Minoprio, Charles Edward Hancox and Edward Scannell Butler, carrying on business as Cotton Merchants, at Liverpool and New Orleans, La., U..S.A., under the style or firm of MINOPRIO \& CO., and in Texas, U.S.A., under the style or firm of KENWORTHY, MINOPRIO \& CO., has this day expired, as far as regards the said Edward Scannell Butler, who retires from the firm. All debts due to and owing by the late firm will be received and paid by the undersigned. Dated this 31st day of August, 1920. FRANK C. MINOPRIO, C. E. HANCOX. From the London Gazette, September 1921: NOTICE is hereby given, that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us, the under- ed, Frank Charles Minoprio, Charles Edward S1 L - - Hancox and John Louis Jones, carrying on business as Cotton Merchants and Shippers, at 39/41, Old Hall-street, Liverpool, and Houston, Texas, U.S.A., under the style or firm of MINOPRIO \& CO., has been dissolved as and from the 31st day of August, 1921. All debts due to and owing by the said firm will be received and paid in Liverpool by the said F. O. Minoprio and C. E. Hanoox, and in America by the said J. L. Jones.—Dated this 31st day of August, 1921. FRANK C. MINOPRIO. C. E, HANCOX (for J. L. Jones). 086 C. E. HANCOX. September, 1921.
By 1938 his address was given as Witley Court, 54–64 Coram Street, Holborn, London. The family also spent their summer holidays in North Wales, where they had a house at Abersoch.
He died in 1951 in the Wirral, Cheshire.
- Birth certificate of Charles Edward Hancox
- Liverpool, Lancashire, England, Baptisms, 1813-1906. Liverpool Record Office; Reference Number: 283 WBK/2/2.
- 1881 Census
- "England and Wales Census, 1891," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:7QCX-8PZ : 1 March 2021), Charles E Hancox in household of Maria M Hancox, West Derby, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom; from "1891 England, Scotland and Wales census," database and images, findmypast (http://www.findmypast.com : n.d.); citing PRO RG 12, Lancashire county, subdistrict, The National Archives of the UK, Kew, Surrey.
- England, Cheshire Parish Registers, 1538-2000,. Film no: 2104768, Folder no: 4019100, Image no: 814
- Email from Peter Karpinski to Sam Wilson, 4 April 2016.
- 1911 England Census. Class: RG14; Piece: 22074.
- New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957. Year: 1916; ; Microfilm Serial: T715; Microfilm Roll: T715\_2480; Line: 4; ; Page Number: 70. New York Passenger Lists 1820-1957. Year: 1939; ; Microfilm Serial: T715; Microfilm Roll: T715\_6351; Line: 2; ; Page Number: 12. UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960 Board of Trade: Commercial and Statistical Department and successors. Inwards Passenger Lists. Kew, Surrey, England: The National Archives of the UK (TNA). Series BT26, 1,472 pieces. Class: BT26; Piece: 1133; Item: 34.
- 1901 England Census. Class: RG13; Piece: 3495; Folio: 6; Page: 4. "England and Wales Census, 1901," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X9L9-WDD : 21 May 2019), Charles E Hancox in household of Maria M Hancox, West Derby, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom; from "1901 England, Scotland and Wales census," database and images, findmypast (http://www.findmypast.com : n.d.); citing West Derby Western subdistrict, PRO RG 13, The National Archives, Kew, Surrey.
- Charles Jonathan Hancox, 2023
- The History Of South Caernarvonshire Yacht Club
- London Electoral Registers, 1847--1965.
- FreeBMD index to births, marriages, and deaths (death in Wirral, March 1952), Index entry p.836, volume 10a. Published by ONS.