Charles William McHarg Wilson
|Birth:||, Melbourne, Victoria|
|Parents:||Mary Wilson (née McHarg)|
1843–1925, Scotland and Australia
|Siblings:||Mary 'Maimie' Agnes Wilson|
11 May 1868 – 6 October 1957
Andrew Oswald Wilson
16 August 1866 – 19 June 1950
Jessie Susan Wilson
16 August 1876 – 1889
Agnes Hay Wilson
17 August 1878 – 1958
Margaret Rae Wilson
17 July 1880 – 12 January 1959
William Garrick Wilson
Robert 'Bob' Crichton Wilson
James Herbert Wilson
Charles William McHarg Wilson
|Keywords:||H.M. Wilson Archives|
Charlie Wilson was born in Fizroy on 26 September 1873 to William Wilson and Mary Wilson (née McHarg).
When he was twelve years old, his brother Andrew (who was teaching in a school in Warrnambool) asked him to buy some items in Melbourne and post them to him. A money order was included, and Charlie made the purchases — but made sure to keep 10% of the funds back, as a commission to himself! The family was not impressed with this, especially as Andrew was at the time sending most of his wage home (something that their other brothers had also done).
Charlie later became apprenticed to his uncle Robert, who had a high-class grocery store in Melbourne. After about only a year Robert broke the apprenticeship, causing Charlie to sue his uncle and to be awarded £1,000 in compensation.
With this sum, Charlie moved to Perth and started his timber merchant business CM Wilson Pty Ltd.
By about 1920 he was back in Melbourne, and built his house Linlathen at 133 Mont Albert Road in Canterbury, Victoria.
October 1926, travelled Melbourne to Perth (via Adelaide) for business.
In 1948 Charles Wilson lent his niece-in-law Helen Margaret Wilson (née Hall) £1,000.
1954, July: new company office built in Stone Street, West Perth.
He lived at Linlathen until his death in May 1957 (he was buried on the 27th, in a Presbyterian section of Boroondara Cemetery). He had developed Parkinson's disease.
- ↑ The order of his middle names varies in some sources.
- ↑ C.M. Wilson extract of birth certificate, 1937
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Rae's documents/CMWAND~1.doc
- ↑ BEFORE THE PUBLIC (1926, October 4). News (Adelaide, SA : 1923 - 1954), p. 1 (HOME EDITION). Retrieved July 20, 2021, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article129708717
- ↑ WESTERN AUSTRALIA (1954, July 14). Construction (Sydney, NSW : 1938 - 1954), p. 14. Retrieved July 20, 2021, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article224516670 "West Perth. Parry & Parry, architects, invite tenders by July 19 for erection of brick office premises for C. M. Wilson & Co. Pty. Ltd., at Stone Street."
- ↑ "Find A Grave Index," database, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Z5R9-8N3Z : 7 August 2020), Charles William Mcharg Wilson, ; Burial, Kew, Boroondara City, Victoria, Australia, Boroondara General Cemetery; citing record ID 208266283, Find a Grave, http://www.findagrave.com.
- ↑ Rae's documents/WILLIA~1.DOC
· Homepage · People · Photos · Archive items · Graves · Storage locations · Private archives ·